Where to Get Information

Since DEA became a cabinet-level agency in 1977, information and referral has been an

integral part of the programs and services the Department offers to help seniors, families

and caregivers ensure the independence and dignity of elders.

The DEA Customer Information Referral and Assistance Center (CIRAC) is staffed by

Customer Information Specialists who are trained to answer questions, provide information and

referral and offer counsel regarding the issues of growing older in Rhode Island. Some of these

issues may include health insurance, housing, medication assistance, Medicare and the Medicare

Prescription Drug Program (Medicare Part D) ,Rhode Island Pharmaceutical Assistance to the

Elderly (RIPAE) , Medicaid and other support programs and services.

Each year, CIRAC staff answers more than 25,000 consumer inquiries.

For information, call 462-3000 (Voice) or 462-0470 (TTY).

Various senior centers and community sites across the state have Community

Information Specialists . They are trained by DEA to help seniors understand and deal with

issues such as heating and pharmacy assistance, Medicare , Medicaid, Social Security,

transportation, food stamps and many other programs and services. To locate the nearest

Community Information Specialist, call CIRAC at 462-3000 (Voice) or 462-0740 (TTY).

The Ask Rhody web site puts Rhode Island social service support programs at your fingertips.

When you click on www.askrhody.org you can get information on services for children and

families such as Rite Care, Food Stamps, the Family Independence Program or child care.

The web site also includes information on services for seniors and adults with disabilities

such as the Medicare Savings Program, Medicaid or General Public Assistance .

The Ask Rhody site also offers a listing of Department of Human Services offices and

telephone numbers Ask Rhody is funded by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid

Services and the RI Department of Human Services .

You may also wish to refer to the Pocket Manual of Elder Services published by the

Department of Elderly Affairs for additional information. To request a free copy of the

manual, to locate a Community Elder Information Specialist or to speak with someone

in the Customer Information, Assistance and Referral Center please call:

• The Department of Elderly Affairs at 462-4000 or email: dea.state.ri.us

Additional information and support concerning individuals with a disability may be obtained

by contacting an independent living center.

For additional information please call:

P.A.R.I (People Actively Reaching Independence) at 725-1966.

OSCIL (Ocean State Center for Independent Living) at 738-1013

Food Stamp Information Hotline 1-866-306-0270


· Site Map   · Contact   · Help   · RI.gov
Rhode Island Coat of Arms
A Rhode Island Government Website
Certain website content provided by the Brain Injury Resource Center of Rhode Island