Health Care  
Assessing Level of Need

People are often confused about what kinds of help a loved one needs. You may want to consider an assessment. Doctors, nurses and social workers working independently or in a health care or social service agency may provide assessments. Professionals will assess a person’s physical, mental and social functioning. They provide advice on how
to manage problems. For elderly individuals this may be called a “Geriatric Assessment.” You many want to consider asking your physician for a referral or you may call:

• DEA Customer Information at 462-4000.

Medicare and most insurance companies pay for geriatric assessments at hospitals or doctors’ offices. If you belong to a Medicare HMO you may need to be referred by your
primary care physician.

A professional care manager or a case manager can help develop a plan of care, arrange necessary services and monitor the plan to be sure that it is working well. The Department of Elderly Affairs offers care management to Rhode Island residents 60 or older through regional case management agencies. Services are available to low income
elders who qualify for co-pay or Medicaid programs and who require services due to frailty or disability or to remain safely at home. For help choosing a case manager in your
area please call:

• Department of Elderly Affairs at 462-4000.

Individuals with a disability under age 65 who require information and help arranging for care may contact:

• P.A.R.I (People Actively Reaching Independence) at 725-1966.

• OSCIL (Ocean State Center for Independent Living) at 738-1015.

Medicare or health insurance does not cover case management services. However seniors with low incomes may receive these services at no charge through the
Department of Elderly Affairs’ (DEA) Case Management Program. To learn more about this program please call 462-4000.

The Department of Human Services will help with arranging services for both elders and individuals with a disability who receive S.S.I. (Supplementary Security Income) or who qualify for Medicaid home and community based programs. For more information on this program contact:

• DHS Info Line at 462-5300 for your Regional Long Term Care Office.

If you or a loved one need information about a specific disease or if you would like to join a support group there are many agencies that can assist you or you may request information from the DEA Community Elder Information Specialist in your local area.
To find an Elder Specialist in your area, please call:

• DEA at 462-4000.

· Site Map   · Contact   · Help   ·
Rhode Island Coat of Arms
A Rhode Island Government Website
Certain website content provided by the Brain Injury Resource Center of Rhode Island