Help after a Hospital Stay
Home Health Care

If the doctor says you or your loved one can finish recovering at home, he or she may recommend home visits by nurses, therapists and certified nursing assistants.

Doctors, hospital discharge planners and Medicare HMOs can all help you choose home care nurses, aides and therapists.

Call RI Department of Health, Division of Facilities Regulation at 222-2566 for a list of Medicare certified skilled nursing agencies and licensed home health care providers.

You can also find information on the Internet at

Medicare or your Medicare HMO will help pay for care at home if the patient meets certain conditions. For information, ask your hospital discharge planner or social worker or talk to your health plan provider.

If you need ongoing services and help with covering the cost of home care both the Department of Elderly Affairs and the Department of Human Services offer programs for elders and persons with a disability who meet certain income and asset guidelines.

For information and assistance please call:

Department of Elderly Affairs at 462-4000.

• DHS Info Line at 462-5300 for your Regional Long Term Care Office.

· Site Map   · Contact   · Help   ·
Rhode Island Coat of Arms
A Rhode Island Government Website
Certain website content provided by the Brain Injury Resource Center of Rhode Island