Help after a Hospital Stay
Skilled Nursing Facilities

If your doctor feels you need round-the-clock nursing or every-day physical therapy, he or she may recommend that you go to a skilled nursing or rehabilitation facility when
you leave the hospital.

Your hospital discharge planner or your physician will ask your choice of facilities. If time permits, a family member or friend may visit the facilities. You may choose a facility because of specialized care, location or religious affiliation.

For more information on choosing the nursing facility for you or a loved one please contact:

• The Alliance for Better Long Term Care at 785-3340
• The RI Department of Health, Division of Facilities Regulation at 222-2566
• RIAFSA at 490-7610
• RIHCA at 732-9333
• DEA at 462-4000

The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) maintains a website, that will allow you to compare key areas of nursing home care in the State of Rhode Island.

While nursing home care is costly, Medicare, Medigap (or supplementary) health nsurance policies and Medicare HMO’s may pay toward the cost of care for people who require skilled nursing services and therapies, usually on a short term basis. Medicaid will cover the cost of nursing home care for those who qualify.

Many Rhode Island nursing home residents need to apply for Rhode Island Medicaid for long-term stays. If you believe you are unable to cover the cost of care privately, ask your hospital discharge planner or nursing home social worker for a referral to a DHS Regional Long Term Care Office. Please note that in many cases, the application should be filed prior to nursing home placement.

· Site Map   · Contact   · Help   ·
Rhode Island Coat of Arms
A Rhode Island Government Website
Certain website content provided by the Brain Injury Resource Center of Rhode Island