Help with Living at Home  

Modifying a Home to Make Life Easier

Most houses and apartments are built for active people. This may present problems for older individuals or a person who has a disability. Fortunately, these problems can often be overcome by home modifications like grab bars and ramps. Assistive devices like talking clocks (for people with limited vision) or flashing doorbells (for people who cannot hear well) can also make a home safer and more comfortable. Medicaid only covers the cost of home modification through its waiver service programs. To learn more about home modifications and assistive devices please call:

• Ocean State Center for Independent Living (OSCIL) at 738-1013 (voice) or 738-1015 (TTY).

• Office of Rehabilitation Services (ORS) in the Department of Human Services at 421-7005 (voice) or 421-7016 (TTY)

• P.A.R.I. (People Actively Reaching Independence), a resource center for people with disabilities, at 725-1966.

• DHS Regional Long Term Care Office or the Info Line at 462-5300 for the number.

· Site Map   · Contact   · Help   ·
Rhode Island Coat of Arms
A Rhode Island Government Website
Certain website content provided by the Brain Injury Resource Center of Rhode Island